Open Document Format Debate -
David Berlind (Executive Editor, ZDNet)
(You will need the latest QuickTime player.)
Morgan Reed (Vice President for Public Affairs,
Association for Competitive Technologies (ACT)
Frank Gilbane - the Background
The Debaters - Morgan Reed and David Berlind
Lobbyist for Microsoft (MS) and Small ISVs
How Much Money Spent Lobbying Open Formats?
MS to Mass: Do you respect IP?
MS Press Release: Mass ODF Plan has failed!
By 2007 only ODF-compliant applications?
Does Massachusetts have any leverage with OASIS?
What if MS OpenOffice was chosen as standard?
Do MS and Internet Explorer encourage non-standard HTML?
References and a Glossary of terms and acronyms
- Tim Bray - Director of Web Technologies for Sun Microsystems
- Eric Criss - was Massachusetts Administration and Finance Secretary
- ECMA - European Computer Manufacturers Association
- ETRM - Enterprise Technical Reference Model (FAQ and Public Comments)
- ISV - Independent Software Vendor
- IP - Intellectual Property
- Jean Paoli - Senior Director of XML architecture for Microsoft
- Peter Quinn - Massachusetts CIO who led the state's Information Technology Division (ITD)
- Peter Quinn resigns - Computerworld
- OASIS - Organization for the Advancement of Structured Information Standards
- Open Document - an OASIS standard
Technical notesThe files are now being streamed from media.skybuilders.com.
Tip: Make sure your browser media player plug-ins are set to "fast start" (to begin playing the file before the download completes).
Video is encoded as QuickTime suitable for Podcasting (iPod 320x240). Please download the latest QuickTime player from Apple.
The video format is suitable for downloading into your video iPod.
If you have technical problems, please report them along with your player version, browser, OS, and any error messages to email@example.com.
You are encouraged to save a copy and serve these files from mirror sites or for your own organizational use. They will serve best if you use an Apple QuickTime Server.